data-mm-id=”_4qq65nj9r”>Aaron Rodgers is with the New York Jets now but we have certainly not heard the last of his previous relationship with the Green Bay Packers. Their very public and rather ugly separation will loom over Rodgers' first season in a different uniform whether he wins a Super Bowl or goes 7-10. One thing we can count on at this point is Rodgers giving his side of the story whenever the opportunity arises. On Wednesday, The Athletic's Matt Schneidman published a deep dive on how the divorce between the Packers and their Hall of Fame quarterback came to be. Rodgers was interviewed for the piece and the quotes he gave do not suggest he's over what happened there. Not one bit. The biggest thing Rodgers has harped on in the last year has been a certain lack of communication with Packers GM Brian Gutekunst about the team's direction. Gutekunst says he tried to reach out often but could never get ahold of Rodgers; Rodgers claims Gutekunst is overstating how hard he tried. This topic was brought up several times in The Athletic piece and lent Rodgers a lot of leeway to slip in jabs like this: After the first practice of camp, Rodgers aired his grievances, saying he wanted to see changes to the organization’s communication and culture. According to Rodgers, the communication between him and Gutekunst improved somewhat. (“It still wasn’t anywhere near what I’ve already enjoyed here with the Jets in just a few short weeks,” Rodgers added.)Rodgers also got upset at the implication from Packers sources that he was not entirely committed last offseason. According to the source associated with the team, the Packers weren’t satisfied with Rodgers’ commitment and effort, not only during voluntary OTAs but on a day-to-day basis afterward. Rodgers takes exception to the thought that the team wanted more from him in the months after giving him the richest contract in NFL history.“When I’m in, I’m all-in, and you wanna ride with offseason workouts?” Rodgers said. “I won MVP without doing offseason workouts. Like, was my commitment any less then? I’d say not at all. The way that I come back to work, not just physically in good shape but mentally refreshed, is the best thing for me to have the season I wanted to have during those in Green Bay.“I think that’s just a cop-out written to try and find something to disparage me about that, honestly, when you know what offseason workouts are really about, it’s completely ridiculous.”He also doubled down on the whole FaceTime story, insisting that if the Packers had done that instead of calling him this offseason the miscommunication problems wouldn't exist. Then he full-on called out Gutekunst. “Did Brian text me more than I texted him? Yeah, but did I ghost him? No,” Rodgers said. “I texted him back. There was back-and-forths that we had and so this is the story you wanna go with? You’re gonna stand on this hill of austerity and say that arguably in the conversation of the best player in your franchise history, you’re gonna say I couldn’t get a hold of him and that’s why we had to move on?“Like, c’mon man. Just tell the truth, you wanted to move on. You didn’t like the fact that we didn’t communicate all the time. Like, listen, I talk to the people that I like.”That last line in particular seems to summarize Rodgers' attitude towards the whole situation. And it definitely doesn't feel like something someone who was over the whole thing would say. It probably shouldn't be a surprise that everyone is still a bit raw. However acrimonious Rodgers has come across for the last two years he did call Green Bay home for well over a decade. But his quotes here feel bitter and a bit petulant. Rodgers was given a chance to address some actual issues, like the claim from Green Bay's side that he had his agent tell president Mark Murphy to either fire Gutekunst or trade Rodgers. He chose to defer on that but was eager to throw out a couple of one-liners about his old bosses. Whatever he might say, Rodgers is not over his exit and how the Packers are framing it.
Related Posts
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are not as outstanding as they once were, according to former Bayern Munich boss Ottmar Hitzfeld.
Messi has scored 43 goals in all competitions this term, more than any other player in Europe s top-five leagues, to help spearhead Barcelona s latest treble charge.
Ronaldo has managed a more relatively modest 24 goals in his first season with Juventus, but his hat-trick against Atletico Madrid sealed a Champions League quarter-final spot for the Serie A leaders and kept alive his chances of winning the trophy for the sixth time in his career.
However, both players were overlooked for the 2018 Ballon d Or, with Luka Modric ending a 10-year Messi-Ronaldo duopoly by winning France Football s coveted prize.
And Hitzfeld believ…
Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Andre Gomes, currently at Everton on loan from Barcelona, according to .
The Toffees are keen to make the deal permanent this summer, but they are set to face stiff competition from the north Londoners whose president Daniel Levy has approved an expense of £30 million to acquire the services of the Portuguese midfielder. There are other interested clubs as well, who believe Gomes would be a bargain signing given the season he s had at Goodison Park.
The interest from Spurs seems to have been going on for a while now. They tried to sign him on loan in January 2018, and they recently sent chief scout Steve Hitchen to watch him play in the Merseyside Derby at Anfield this season. Mauricio Pochettino, who is a big admirer of th…
Maxi Gomez scored an 82nd-minute equaliser for Celta Vigo to extend Real Madrid s winless away run in LaLiga to four matches in a 2-2 draw at Balaidos.
Defeat at Girona and goalless stalemates at Atletico Madrid and Athletic Bilbao plunged Madrid into worrying run of away form, although a 3-0 home reverse to fierce rivals Barcelona in their last league outing is likely to have given them the bigger headache over the Christmas period.
But Zinedine Zidane s men were unable to break that streak on Sunday, despite the best efforts of Gareth Bale, who scored both of the visitors goals in his first league start since September following calf and hamstring problems.
Iago Aspas hit the post for Celta before Daniel Wass opened the scoring with a wonderful chipped goal…
Atletico Madrid welcomed Valencia to the Wanda Metropolitano stadium on Wednesday evening in the 34th round of the 2018/19 La Liga season.
It was the visitors whose need for points was in theory bigger ahead of the clash as they battle for a finish to the campaign that would lead them into the Champions League next season, but Atletico aren t the kind of team that would allow anyone an easy game in their home. Further more, the bragging rights in the Spanish capital are still at stake with Real Madrid looming close behind.
Team News
Atletico boss Diego Simeone will be without the suspended striker Diego Costa. Defenders Lucas Hernandez and Jose Maria Gimenez missed out through injury.
Jan Oblak was in goal. Stefan Savić and Diego Godin were the last defensive …
Marouane Fellaini insists there is a growing belief at Old Trafford that Manchester United are realistic Premier League title challengers.
While the former Everton midfielder – who much like the 20-time English champions is experiencing an upturn in fortunes – admits a return to the top four and UEFA Champions League qualification is the club s main aim this season, Fellaini knows United are well placed to kick on.
Six successive wins means United are third, eight points adrift of leaders Chelsea, and are firmly banishing the memories of a painful 2013-14, when they finished a lowly seventh.
Last season was not good enough for Manchester United, Fellaini told The Times.
We know that and we are working hard to put that right.
In some…
Michael Carrick expects Manchester United s burgeoning Premier League title push to be put to the test at his former club Tottenham.
Following a comprehensive 3-1 win over Newcastle United on Boxing Day, United have now taken 22 points from their last eight top-flight outings and sit third in the table.
The form being shown by Louis van Gaal s team is fast making a nightmare 2013-14 campaign under the stewardship of David Moyes a distant memory, and has even led to suggestions that they could challenge Chelsea and Manchester City for the title.
Indeed, despite the fact they remain some 10 points adrift of Premier League leaders Chelsea, Carrick feels United are c
0000117F
apable of upsetting the odds.
However, the in-form playmaker knows Sunday s trip …
Chelsea s Mason Mount is feeling good after undergoing surgery on a pelvic issue that threatens to sideline him for the remainder of the season.
Mount has endured a frustrating few months, with six of his last seven appearances coming from the bench – including all three of his outings since Frank Lampard returned to Stamford Bridge as caretaker manager.
The England international has made 20 Premier League starts this term but only managed three goals and two assists during a season of upheaval for Chelsea.
On Tuesday, Lampard said Mount could face four weeks on the sidelines after being troubled by a pelvic issue, which required him to undergo minor surgery.
Mount s Chelsea contract expires in 2024, and with fresh terms yet to be agreed, the 24-year-o…
Vicente del Bosque faces his first test in charge of the Euro 2008 winners when Spain take on Denmark in Copenhagen Wednesday, with continuity uppermost in his mind.
Del Bosque replaced 69-year-old Luis Aragones after the nation s 1-0 defeat of Germany in the final of Euro 2008 in June.
He wants to work and to keep things as they are, said captain and goalkeeper Iker Casillas, who played under del Bosque at Real.
Guys, I m not going to change anything, del Bosque told the squad s first training session in Madrid on Monday.
Having won two Champions League trophies and two Spanish league titles when he was in charge of Real Madrid, he has the credentials to gain the respect of the players.
The match against Denmark will launch Spain s preparat…
Manchester United are set to have two new attacking weapons at their disposal, with deals to sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Henrikh Mkhitaryan likely to be completed by the end of the week.
Free agent striker Ibrahimovic, 34, has long been linked with United after opting to leave Paris Saint-Germain following a prolific four-year spell in France.
Attacking midfielder Mkhitaryan, meanwhile, has been swiftly targeted by new manager Jose Mourinho as United pounce for the attacking midfielder who only has one year left on his Borussia Dortmund contract in a reported £33million deal.
Here, with the help of Opta data, we analyse the performances of Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan during 2015-16 compared to United s current crop of attacking talent.
GOALS: I…
Marcelo Bielsa has agreed to take over as the new head coach of Lazio, the Serie A club have confirmed.
Bielsa has been without a club since resigning from Marseille one game into the 2015-16 Ligue 1 season.
The Argentinian joins as a permanent replacement for Stefano Pioli, who was sacked on April 3 following a 4-1 defeat to arch-rivals Roma.
As revealed in the media, SS Lazio announces that is has registered the contract of Mr Marcelo Bielsa and his co-workers, a club statement released on Wednesday read.
The coach and his staff will be in Rome on Saturday July 9.
Youth team coach and former striker Simone Inzaghi took temporary charge of first-team matters, steering the club to an eighth-place finish in Serie A.
However, Inzaghi has…